Thursday, February 20, 2014

Rejection

As in, my first! I should be sad, but I'm not. Back story, since I haven't been writing much on the blog lately:

Cedar Fort books recently had a Christmas writing contest. I had several ideas for a book and/or short story, but it was right over the period of time that we moved. (Did I mention that we moved? We moved. From small town, back country, Southern Utah to big city Las Vegas. It's been a bit of an adjustment getting used to.) Any way. I was packing, moving, unpacking, getting settled, etc. during the time that I would have been writing the longer story, so I went with the short.

It was a pretty fine piece of work, I think. Based loosely on a personal experience. And lovely. (Also, very short. Only 1200 words or so.)

I submitted it. And waited. And waited. This morning, I got the response. "Unfortunately, you were not chosen as the winner at this time."

It's a rejection, from an actual publisher. I stepped out onto the cliff and hit send. And even though I ultimately wasn't chosen as the winner, it feels good. I mean, there could only be one person who won and I have no idea how many people submitted in the category I tried.

The really nice thing is that they included a note at the end to say they would love to see any full-length manuscripts I might have. (It could be a form letter, but still.)

So that's the news. I am moving slow steps forward in writing. Submitting a short story to an actual publisher is a huge deal, even if it got a pass this time. I just have to work some more and polish some more and do something new.

Until next time, how's your writing going?

2 comments:

Jennifer McFadden said...

Hi Kayeleen! Wow-that was quite a move-from a small town to Las Vegas.How do you like it so far? It's great that you sent a short story to a publisher, even if they passed.

I am writing a ghost novel that I've been working on and off for about 3 years. It will be finished someday...

Unknown said...

Sorry about the big R, but at least you tried. More than that you've accomplished something many people only dream of doing. Kudos! My writing is on pace for the moment. I have 2 WIPS out with Beta Readers and as summer fast approaches, I'll just have to wait and see how much time I have for writing.