Friday, April 27, 2012

Catching up again

Hello all.I didn't realize it had been so long between posts. Thanks for all the congratulations on baby girl (who remains nameless, so far. We usually don't pick a name until after we meet the kid.) We've passed the halfway mark with this pregnancy. I'm finally not wanting to toss my figurative cookies all the time. (Which is really, really good.) And I've been super busy with family, working, day trips, house work, and all the other stuff that piles up in the day.

I haven't had (or made) much time for writing in the last several months. It makes me wonder if I really am a writer. I've learned something new about the process again. It's kind of a use it or lose it sort of venture. When I'm writing, new shiny ideas come all the time. When I'm not, they are few and far between. And I miss them. How I miss them.

Sometimes, I look at what is going on in the blogging world around me and feel disconnected or disingenuous or some other word that starts with dis. I want to get back into the writing, but am at a loss for time and (to a lesser extent) desire right now. I keep passing through all these different options for making changes in some way, but only one seems really fun, so I might try it. And it would get my hand in again.

On Monday, I will post, either with an inspiration or looking for one. (I'll call it Monday's Muse! How alliterative.) On Friday, I'll post a piece of flash fiction based on whatever the inspiration was on Monday. (Flash Fiction Fridays! Yay!) We'll give it a try and see where it goes. If you want to participate, you are sure welcome to. And who knows. It might lead to some new ideas. Let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Krista Van Dolzer said...

If you've ever written anything for fun, then I say you're a writer. It doesn't matter if you're writing right this minute or not. And something tells me writing will circle back into your life when you want it to. Until then, no worries:)

(This reminds me of my living room, actually. We rearranged it a month ago to create more space for the after-baby-blessing get-together, and so far, we haven't put it back. It's a little less functional for watching TV--and from a design perspective, I think it looks hideous--but there's a lot more floor space in our living room right now. I keep telling myself I'll change it back, but right now, it isn't bugging me, so I leave it. And I'm sure I'll leave it until that moment I decide I'm ready to go back to the way it was. In the meantime, we're enjoying this small difference in our otherwise same-old, same-old lives:) )

Kristi said...

Yay on not wanting to toss your cookies all the time! I feel like that (coupled with the baby girl news) entitles you to be as writer-lazy as you want. Then again, that might make me an enabler. :)

I think especially for us mom's out there that we can be too hard on ourselves at times. It's okay to take a break now and again and it certainly doesn't make you any less of a writer. In my mind, it's healthy and necessary.

It's like riding a bike, when you're ready, it'll all come back.

Kasey @ Mormon Mommy Writers said...

I think you've got a great idea there- I'm totally on board! For me, whenever I feel like I've lost the desire, I will often go back to journaling. That way I'm writing, and it's something that I know I should be writing and so I feel productive. A lot of times that will get me itchy to write something else.

Another good option is to write short stuff- I like writing stories for the Friend magazine. They're short, have a great message, and once you get the hang of the style and what they're looking for, it's pretty easy to get published with them.

Hope you get back into your stride soon. I'll look forward to seeing the action here next week! :-)

Stephanie McGee said...

Yay for feeling better! Glad you're getting past the morning sickness stuff.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! And yay for flash fiction. I'll be excited to read yours.

(And yay for the girl! Girls are great!)