Tuesday, December 22, 2009

An Early Start to a New Year

Well, this is a new world for me. I've certainly thought about putting up a blog. I've thought about it almost to the point where it actually registered as a thought, with intent to do something about it. That's pretty serious. The last time that happened, I wrote a book. And the time before that, I also wrote a book. So, I suppose it can finally be time for me to join the rest of the computer savvy world and share my adventures, or misadventures, with the world at large.

Today, I have been thinking about New Year's Day. It's just over a week away, now. This is supposed to be the time when I look at my life and see massive things going awry and resolve to make changes. "I will no longer eat sweets." "I will read more frequently." A hundred different versions of "I will..." could probably apply to me. I think the thing that generally trips me up is the word resolve. What does that mean, exactly? I have yet to make a list of New Year's Resolutions that actually did anything for my life. In 30 years of living, I should have at least something to show for the annual tradition, but I can't think of a single thing.

This year, I'm going to try something different. Instead of having a list of resolutions that may or may not result in any noticeable difference in my life, I am making a concrete list of goals. It might take a bit of tweaking over the coming days, but hopefully, I have a good start.

1. I will revise and submit the two books I have already written for publishing before October.
2. I will use the month of October to plan a new book.
3. I will write a new book by the end of November. (I might start in on that earlier, depending on my progress with goals 1 and 2.)
4. I will write a blog entry at least once a week. (This could be about anything from my progress on writing to funny and strange things that happen with my family.)

So far, that's what I've got. I'm hoping to add to the list and refine it as we go along. That would mean I'm making progress! I am excited to start this strange new journey and look forward to sharing it with any one who happens to come along for the ride.

Merry Christmas, every one and Happy New Years!

No comments: