Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's going around

My kids got Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. And gave it to my husband and me. Apparently, it's really contagious. And usually a childhood disease. Which makes me wonder what kind of childhood we had that didn't provide us with immunity when we got older. It's something that's going around.

Also going around right now: dejection. I've been reading blogs and talking to people and it just seems like right now is a difficult time for every body. It's hard to feel motivated. It's hard to find focus once you get going. It's hard to make time for everything.

Maybe it's the time of year. My house is surrounded by about 1.5 feet of snow. The sun hasn't broken through the cloud cover in two days. The sky has been a blurry sort of gray for a long time. It's easy to understand feeling gray when the world around you is gray too.

Maybe it's that things are catching up to us. I know that I go in creative spurts. I can write consistently for weeks on end, but then I run out of steam. And it all peters out for a couple of weeks until I can work up the gumption to start again. Usually, something else of importance has to be done and that interrupts the flow.

Maybe it's something else. I don't know.

The big thing is that a lot of people are going through it, for whatever reason. And in a way, that makes it seem not so bad. When I can look at people I think are amazing and see they have their difficulties too, it makes my difficulties seem manageable. So, here's to all of us. We can do it. We can break out of the gray and blurry world and walk into the sunshine. In fact, I'm going to do just that. Right now. Hello heater vent and hot chocolate, my new friends. I think we'll make today pretty good, yet.

No comments: