Friday, January 29, 2010

Progress report, sir

Well, the taxes are done. It's Friday. My kids are getting healthy. The in-laws are coming tomorrow to see the grandkids. And I'm feeling pretty good.

I know where to start the book now. I think I'm going to have to just start with a complete rewrite instead of the piecemeal stuff I was doing. It will probably work better that way. If I can incorporate some of the chapters I already went over, I will. Otherwise, they end up in the pile of "pretty, but unused." It's nice to be starting again.

Originally, I had anticipated being a good way through the first round of rewrites at this point. Wishful thinking on my part when there are so many other things going on in my life at any given time. The nice thing is that I can just start over with a new set of (very flexible) expectations and see what happens. I think I've had a long enough break from consistently writing that I should be able to come at it with fresh eyes and a new wave of enthusiasm. (I know. I keep saying I'm excited about writing and then the next post says the same thing again. Maybe it's just that I've been building up steam in the pressure gauge that is my creativity and it's now ready to blow.)

New goal: finish this draft by the end of February. Find some good betas. Get feedback. Start over again in March. Ready, steady, go!

3 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Hold up the horse! Your taxes are done?? How did that happen? Sheesh. But great job! :)

And yay for figuring out where to start the book. That's always the hardest part for me.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

good goals! and im jealous on taxes!!!! ;)

Daisy Whitney said...

Complete rewrites are hard, but sometimes exactly what a book needs. I am doing one right now on a half-written book I put aside in August, but that wouldn't leave me alone and I am loving it now!