Thursday, April 29, 2010

A few Simple Things

It's "Small and Simple Things Week", Day Four. Today's entry is all about the simple things that make writing and reading worthwhile.

 I saw this quote and knew it was perfect. "Richer than me you'll never be, for I have a mother who reads to me." I love reading to my sons. I love that my 3 year old picks up the books on his own and tells himself the story. (Very inventively, most of the time.) And now, the 18 month old does the same thing.

I love that feeling of finding just the right words to express what I've been thinking. Whether it's in a blog post or in my manuscript, I love to make words sing. I love the satisfaction of a solid string of feeling on the page.

I love being able to share a piece of myself through the things that I write. And in return, I love being able to know more about someone else by reading their words. I love the connection that forms as we exchange these little portions of being.

I love curling up with a good book and knowing that someone put so much effort into providing me with a new and meaningful experience. I have a freedom and excitement for life when I read something that really resonates with me.

I love that I am doing something every day that I really enjoy. I love to feel like I'm able to express myself, to be creative. It feels like I'm doing something that will last forever.

There's a few of my simple things. What are some of yours?

6 comments:

Stephanie McGee said...

Lovely.

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Ditto, ditto, and ditto:)

Myrna Foster said...

You expressed that very well. My small and simple things are much like yours. I'd add that I love making my kids smile.

PJ Hoover said...

Excellent, Kayeleen! Maybe I should try to come up with 40 things.

lisa and laura said...

I love this post :) And couldn't agree more. I have a rule--I can be too busy for other things, but NEVER too busy to read my daughter a book. She needs to know they're a priority (well, and she is too ;)

prashant said...

You expressed that very well.
data entry india