Friday, October 21, 2011

Pushing through

Last year, I had a story idea. It was beautiful. And different from everything else. And I tried to write it. And failed miserably. It was devastating. And in a way, it contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for writing for a long time. I lost some of my confidence. After having two great stories that I had finished drafts for and worked on revisions with, and loved to pieces, it was hard to have something that I felt had failed completely.

Well, a year has gone by. I've pulled out that idea and dusted it off. I've bounced it off some people. I've honed the concept. Switched it around to something more workable. And I still love it. I still want to tell that story. And that is what I will be doing during NaNoWriMo this year. I believe that I'll be able to get more accomplished on it this time. I think I might make it all the way. It should be really great.

What about you, friends? Have you ever lost your confidence in writing? Have you ever had to put aside an idea that you loved? How did you pick yourself up again?

9 comments:

Cynthia DiFilippo Elomaa said...

I hate having to put away an idea, when start something I want to finish it. Unforunately that is not reality though. I do have work that I've put in the digital draw, and some day I want to take them out and tweek. I just don't think it will turn out to be the same story as when it started. (Sad)

Stephanie McGee said...

I've had to put manuscripts away. Well, one, really. I still love the story and characters. Every time I pull out that manuscript I fall in love all over again.

I've put this manuscript in the dust drawer several times. Every time I do, I think, "I'll just write another novel and come back to this one after that, see if I've gained the skills to make the beloved manuscript sparkle."

Not yet. But I'm getting there.

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Sounds like we need to chat about this idea of yours sometime. It sounds awesome and exciting and a bunch of other positive adjectives I don't have the time to list:)

Krispy said...

I have so many unfinished stories sitting around on hard drives because I didn't know what I was doing or because I realized I wasn't ready to write those stories yet. I think it's so great that you're now able to come back to this idea you love. Nano should be very fun then!

Mer said...

(you drew me from lurking! Congrats!!)

Doodling. I doodle the writer's block away. I mean, black-pen-on-paper doodling. I write almost exclusively non-fiction now -- I'm actually writing a book on small business development with my dad. I've never had writers block as badly as I have lately. I love the subject, love how it helps people, but -- uuuuuuuuuuuugh!

So instead of staring at a blank screen, I pick up a pen and doodle what I'm trying to explain using stick figures, boxes, and arrows. After a few minutes, I know exactly what I need to say.

Laura said...

Hi there - yeah, I did BuNoWriMo in June... and I loved the story but wrote it with no plotting, so ended up with something so unworkable, that it really put me off. I will go back to it at some point, and for NaNo I've plotted!
Lx

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

Hey I finally found your blog. I have definitely lost my confidence on writing. I think the thing that keeps me going is a comment my son made when he told me I was his favorite author. He reads a ton and so he should know even if he is a little biased :)

Lydia Kang said...

Finding that love again after a story seems to have puttered out is such a good feeling. Good luck on NaNo!

Gina Ciocca said...

I'm glad you're giving it another go. I lose confidence every other day, but then I remind myself that quitting is a guaranteed way to fail. We have to keep trying!