Friday, January 7, 2011

Changes

It's strange to wander through the blogophere and see how it's changed since I last spent time here. Some of the people I followed have stopped writing. Some have gotten agents. Some have gotten book deals and others have had their books published. People who started out blogging at the same time that I did have gone far beyond me in the writing journey and I have to admit that it leaves me feeling a little sad. I'm sad to have missed the happy things for them and the lost possibilities for myself. It's almost like I'm starting from scratch, in the same place I was a year ago, but everyone else has moved on with their lives. I know. Too somber and discouraged.


The truth is that I've done some changing too. Not in the same writerly direction, but personally. I'm different. I've been through a lot of things in 6 months and my perspective has undergone dramatic revisions, even if my novels haven't. I find that I'm in a better place to start down this road again. And I have new ideas, hopes, and goals--things that I would never have considered otherwise. It's nice.

All week long, I have been thinking about what I want to accomplish with my writing. Do I want to go back to the projects I was working on before my break? How much time should I spend on writing? Those kinds of things. I've decided to start with a clean slate. I don't know if I'll go back to the old stuff. Certainly not for a while. It's great to have new directions and new ideas to work on. So, that's going to be my focus.

I'm also thinking about changing a few things around the blog. More on that next week, I think.

What changes have you made in the last year? what do you see in your future?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello!!
I am more focused on the writing ... the part of what I do that will lead me to where I want to be.

Talli Roland said...

I feel much more a 'professional' writer than I did last year, if that makes sense!