Thursday, January 13, 2011

Two thoughts

There are two things that have been going through my mind today. They are both kind of related.


A bend in the road is not the end of the road… unless you fail to make the turn. - Author Unknown

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars. - Les Brown

These two things seem really relevant as I continue to recover from a long absence from my writing. I think they could be applicable in pretty much any situation where big decisions are waiting. Why take the safe, easy, predictable route when you can try the new, exciting, and ambitious one and possibly have it all?

It's hard to pick things up again and not wonder if it's the right thing to do at this point in time. There are so many other things I could be doing with the time I spend on this. Mostly though, I think it's a good thing. I need to do something for me and this is what I want to do. One of my favorite fictional characters, Anne of Green Gables, always talked about what was waiting after the "bend in the road." I don't want to miss out on whatever is just out of my sight.

I hope that the rest of you are equally excited about what's coming, just down the road, for you.

1 comment:

Krista Van Dolzer said...

You do need to do something for yourself, Kayeleen, so don't feel bad for taking the time to write. You'll know when your balance is tipping a little too far one way or the other. (Fixing it, on the other hand, is another matter entirely.)

This also reminds me of my favorite line from the Anne of Green Gables PBS series. After Anne reforms Katherine, the cantankerous headmistress she used to work for, Katherine still has a few rough moments. When Anne starts going on about those bends in the road, Katherine huffs and says, "Bend in the road. There's no bend in my road." So every time someone starts talking about bends in the road, I always have to add, "There's no bend in my road." :)