Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where Did That Come From? -- Theme

So, I was driving in the car with my husband the other day. A song by Taylor Swift came on. You may have heard it. Here's the video to refresh your memory.



Why am I sharing this, friends? We can find inspiration and memories in the strangest places. As a teenage girl, I distinctly remember looking at the guy that I had a crush on and thinking, "How can he be dating that girl? Doesn't he know that if he dated me he'd be happier?" Listening to that song again, I was taken back to that 16 year old moment. I felt the pain of being left out and left behind. It didn't help that my family rules didn't allow me to date any one seriously in high school. I wanted more than anything to be the girl that he looked at in that special way. And I wasn't.

Sitting in my car, I knew that if a song (and more than one) had been written about that feeling, other people would probably relate to it, too. A story started to develop in my head. An idea for a contemporary piece. I may never write it, but I have a starting place. And more than that, I have a theme that can be used in other stories.

What's inspiring you today, friends?

5 comments:

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Ooh, I love those flashes of inspiration. Alas, I'm still waiting for my first contemporary idea...

Also, I gave you an award today!

Michelle Merrill said...

Ooh, great inspiration. I'm inspired by common conflicts among teens these days, taking situations that aren't ordinary and trying to make them ordinary, and then of course all other types of media are inspiring. A good shower and a long drive can get my muse thinking too :)

ali cross said...

Music is very often a source of inspiration to me. And the news. And my children . . .

Heck, there's inspiration everywhere isn't there?

Melanie Stanford said...

That song totally inspired me to write YA in the first place! Thanks Taylor Swift!

Shannon said...

Good post. And yeah, that song resonates with me, too.

Today, Cinco de Mayo is inspiring me to make mojitos! =)