Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Midweek slump

Okay. You caught me. It's the middle of the week and it feels like it should be Friday. I didn't clean the house yesterday, which always leaves me in a bad mood. I still haven't figured out my schedule for working/writing/wifing/mothering and that leaves me in a bad mood. I have to go to the store with the boys today and that leaves me in a bad mood. You may be getting the big picture.

Still, it could be worse. And I recognize that. It could be better, but at least it isn't worse. When I was a missionary for my church, 10 years ago, I went through slumps. I had a mantra for those times. "I can do anything for 1 day (or insert other time period.)" Strangely, it helped a lot to think in terms of a time limit. And it's really true. I can do anything that I have to do, as long as I know it's going to end at some point. So, today, I can get my house clean by the end of the day. I can work out my schedule by the end of the week. I can go to the store this morning. And I can get out of this slump before tomorrow.

So, friends, how do you deal with your slumps? What's your mantra?

10 comments:

Angela Kulig said...

Hump day is getting to me too. Chin up, we will live til Friday.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

You sound like me. Not cleaning the house on my scheduled day puts me completely off everything. I like your mantra, think I'll borrow it!

Jess said...

I get in slumps too--mostly when I've taken the time to organize my tasks and schedule so that I have specific time for ME scheduled, and then life gets in the way. It's easy to get annoyed/angry, because my priorities always seem to come last. I feel accomplished when I check off my to-do list, but when it comes at the expense of time for myself and my personal goals, then I end up feeling mentally drained and disappointed. I realized that means I need to shift some of those priorities or just rethink my goals. Or say "no" more often :)

Ruth Josse said...

Oh my, I know what you mean! Some days I'm ready for the day to be over and it's only 9 AM. But I get through it and oftentimes it even gets better. Good luck!

Tara Tyler said...

unfortunately, i have to say, only so many hours to. bedtime. and sometimes, how many days to school?

and trying to keep the counters clear helps w/our sanity...

ali cross said...

Sorry for the slump :(

I love FlyLady ~ her mantra (so much like yours!) "I can do anything for 15 minutes" really works for me regarding the housework stuff. I *hate* housework and there's always something better that I need/want to be doing. So I set my timer and make a mad dash tidy-up for 15 minutes. It's amazing what you can actually get done in that short a time! Sure, it's not the BIG CLEAN, but it gets me through the week, lol.

Good luck finding your "flow" again. Summer's good for that ... messing up all our routines!

Tonja said...

One hour at a time.... It's good to do something for yourself, something you love no matter how small, every day (or every hour if need be). I promise myself the gift of laughing with Chelsea Lately every night before I go to bed (I know it's wrong).

Sierra Gardner said...

I actually just cut myself a break. For instance, my friend and I have been running lately and are trying to work up to 5 miles. Some days we make it pretty far but once in a while we have a day where 1 mile is pushing it. Those days we just acknowledge it was a slump day and move on =) And then we try again the next day.

Anonymous said...

I'm in a slump write now as I prepare for my trip to Utah and Idaho on Tuesday! I keep telling myself, 'it's almost the weekend' which usually works for me.

Krispy said...

Boo for slumps. Midweek is definitely a tough time, almost as icky as Mondays. It is FRIDAY as I write this, so I hope you are now un-slumped, and if not, well, IT'S FRIDAY! Weekend ahead!