Thursday, November 10, 2011

Be Yourself!

Okay. I know it's Thursday. And I don't normally post on Thursday. But I didn't post yesterday, so this totally counts.

Lots of people talk about social media. It's on tons of blogs. "Get involved in social media." Okay. I did that. I have a Facebook account. (I'm Kayeleen Jackson Hamblin, if you want to friend me.) I have this blog. I have a twitter account (@kayeleenhamblin). And I even sort of have a Google+ thing that I never really look at. You know what using all these social networks has taught me? Everybody is chasing the next best thing.

I looked at Twitter today for the first time in a few days. It has this new section called "Activity." Honestly, it looks like the new scrolling thing on Facebook that tells you who your friends are friends with and what they said on someone else's status. You don't know the people and probably don't care what your friend thinks about it, but there it is. And Facebook did it in response to Google+. So, Twitter is trying to be Facebook trying to be Google+. Doesn't that seem ridiculous? And Facebook is trying to be more stream of consciousness like Twitter. And it goes on and on and on.

But you know what? I use Facebook for something different than I use Twitter or Google+. I don't want them to all be the same as the other things. And this is the lesson. Just be what you are, people! It's worth it to be different. Whether it's what you write or your social media or whatever, just be you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I so agree. I can barely keep up with the changes in social network. Everyone wants to be different while being alike. The whole thing in publishing too, about everyone saying they want something different but ending up publishing more of the same thing.

Stephanie McGee said...

All that "here's what your friends' friends' friends are doing!" stuff is why I deactivated Facebook. (That and the safety/privacy thing.) The spam on Google+ is why I deleted Google+. Now, I don't know what I can do if Twitter becomes Facebook lite.

Sigh.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I noticed that Activity feature today and I hate it! I like Twitter for what it is, I don't want it to be Facebook! And Google+? Not sure where it's going. Seems like nowhere fast. There's room for all of it, if they'd just stop trying to copy each other!