Monday, November 28, 2011

He's a Very Nice Prince

Well, the Thanksgiving holiday has come and gone. It was a good one at our house. We mostly sat around and ate a lot of food. We shopped online instead of braving the 2 hour drive and crazy lines at the store. We ate more food. We played some board games. We went out to the local sand dunes and got really dirty. It was good.

I consider myself to be more of a sunshine and roses sort of person. It's just what I like. And I try to surround myself with it. I still recognize that there is a lot of unhappiness and angst out there. And I was confronted with some of it over the weekend. Two different friends talked to me about how their current relationships (one married, the other not) are really struggling. There are underlying problems (some financial, some family, some other) in both cases, but the fact that there is some talk about ending it makes me really sad.

All of this to say, I lucked out. I have a Prince Charming. Even when I'm frustrated (because, let's face it. I'm human.) Or when I'm having a depressed day. Or whatever. He's really amazing. And supportive. And compassionate. And I lucked out.

It brings to mind all those teen books out there that have amazing relationships. Everything just works out. And you know you have found your soulmate. And... the list goes on. It's really appealing to have that kind of relationship. It's what we all want. And that's why there are so many people writing about it. And why we keep reading them. For those of us who picked the grand prize in the relationship department, it reminds us of what we have. For those of us still searching, it reminds us of what we want.

So, friends, do you like a little romance in your reading? Do you write about the romance you have or want?

3 comments:

Stephanie McGee said...

Aww. I read and write the sort of relationship I'd like. But that isn't hard since I don't have that sort of relationship at the moment...

Sarah McCabe said...

What bothers me is that most of the time those "amazing relationships" aren't really healthy relationships. They only work because the author writes that they work. I like reading about romance, but only if it's healthy romance.

Vicki Rocho said...

I don't mind a touch of romance but I get tired of books (like the bodice rippers) where the story is formulaic.